A Fresh Approach To Resolving Your Family Law Matters

  1. Home
  2.  – 
  3. Matters Impacting Children
  4.  – Child Support

Child Support: An Important Shared Obligation

Parents, married or not, must financially support their children, so child support must be addressed in divorce and paternity cases.

The family court in Minnesota follows guidelines to calculate child support based primarily upon the parents’ respective incomes or earning capacities. The court considers several other factors when determining the amount of child support, including:

  • Earnings from interest/dividends
  • Income taxes
  • Previous support orders for children from another relationship
  • Alimony paid or received
  • Health insurance for the children
  • Work-related child care expenses
  • The amount of time each parent spends with the children

The courts deviate from the guidelines only in circumstances where the amount of support is unjust or inappropriate.

Do You Owe Past-Due Child Support?

Failure to pay court-ordered child support may result in the revocation of your driver’s license, professional license or recreational license. It may also result in the interception of your state and federal tax refunds, denial of a passport or even time in jail.

If you have fallen behind in making court-ordered child support payments due to a loss of income or changed circumstances, contact our experienced lawyers at Oney + Kim Family Law, PLLC to help you work out a payment plan or request a reduction in your monthly payments.

If You Are A Single Parent Seeking Child Support, We Can Help

If you are a single parent with no child support order in place, Oney + Kim Family Law, PLLC, can help you ask the court to establish the support you need.

As time goes by and circumstances change, a child support order may need to be modified. Our family law attorneys at Oney + Kim Family Law, PLLC, can help you determine whether a modification of child support is appropriate in your case. Call our office in Eagan at 612-279-8655 to discuss the changes in your family’s circumstances. You may also send us an email to schedule a free consultation with us.

"/*Button is not working using Spacebar*/